Deciding to replace your home’s HVAC system is a big decision. From understanding different system types, to installation costs and more, it can be overwhelming and confusing. To ease that confusion, we’re answering some frequently asked questions about HVAC replacement and how BDL Heating & Cooling can help.
When Is It Time to Replace My HVAC System?
Deciding whether or not your system needs to be repaired or replaced can be tricky. Repairing is best for systems that have minor issues or haven’t had major issues before. Signs it may be time to replace your system include:
- Your system requires repairs that are a substantial portion of the system cost
- Your system runs on R-22 refrigerant (phased out by the EPA 1/1/2020) and is having refrigerant related issues
- Your system is 15-20+ years old (the lifespan of a system depends on system type, use and quality of up-keep)
- Your system has problems that could cause a safety issue
- You have high utility costs caused by an inefficient system and the utility savings of upgrading your system will help pay for the new system (or cover your Mass Save HEAT loan payment)
- Your system needs frequent repairs/you have frequent breakdowns that are causing you to be uncomfortable in your home
When in doubt, it’s always best to consult an expert. At BDL Heating & Cooling, We pride ourselves on giving our clients honest recommendations that work best for their home/business and their budget. We will never upsell you and will make recommendations that we would make to our own families.
What Are My Options?
There are a number of different types of HVAC systems, which can make your decision even more complicated. The most common types of systems are:
How Much Will It Cost?
The cost will vary depending on a number of factors including the system you choose, size of the house, ductwork, and more. However, we can work with you to design a system that works to meet your budget and long term goals. To get an idea of cost, feel free to call us at 508-643-5114 so we can learn more about your home and your needs.
How Long Will It Take to Install?
Most HVAC systems can be replaced within one-two days, but more advanced, complex jobs can take upwards of a week, especially if duct upgrades are involved.
When Is The Best Time to Replace My HVAC System?
It is best to plan ahead for your installation, instead of waiting until your unit fails. Often, we find it is easiest to replace your system in periods of mild weather (spring and fall), just in case the system has to be down overnight. That said, we can accommodate installations 52-weeks per/year and when the weather is extreme, we work very hard to get your system back up and running the same day. If we can’t, you will know in advance of the job starting and we can often provide space heaters, window air conditioners or other ways to keep you comfortable.
Questions? We’ve Got Answers.
Unsure if your HVAC system needs to be replaced? Ready to get started with the installation process? Contact us today at 508-643-5114 to learn more about our HVAC systems and how our experienced team of technicians can help.